Trail Bike Insurance 150CC or Less - HELP!!

Trials bikes, riding, observed trials competitions and pretty much anything to do with trials.

Trail Bike Insurance 150CC or Less - HELP!!

Postby Scogs13 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi all,

I ride a crf250 and love the SCORRA trails. My boy rides with me on his 250 but my wife wanted to get into the sport this year. We went to Barrie powerhouse and bought a nice new CRF125FB beginner bike for her to get out on the trails. Signed her up to OFTA and SCORRA and went to insure her bike and have had nothing but problems. Some info first. We have zero accidents or any driving related issues of any kind. She is 35 and also has her M2 not that it is a requirement but insurance agents are hit or miss on what they require. We have spent a week calling every insurer we can get a number for and EVERY SINGLE ONE either won’t insure a bike below 150cc or will insure it but at a ridiculous price that no one would pay ($1000+)

I pay $80/year for my 250 and $85 for my sons through dejardins but they also won’t insure anything below 150cc

From talking to the insurance brokers something in Ontario changed 4 months ago and now underwriters aren’t insuring the bikes. It makes ZERO SENSE and basically just stops any beginner from participating legally... if anyone has insurance that they have gotten RECENTLY on a 125 could they please let us know.

I have spoken with Barrie Powerhouse and Parkway Yamaha and it seems lots of people are having this issue. They share my opinion it makes NO SENSE. How can you make it so beginners can’t get into the sport without riding a bike with way to much power for them or to large.
Scogs13
SCORRA Member

Re: Trail Bike Insurance 150CC or Less - HELP!!

Postby Scogs13 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:08 pm

UPDATE -

I have contacted both OFTR & SCORRA but OFTR basically just acknowledged the problem and said they can’t help.... I mentioned that they will have a big problem with riders riding uninsured because they can’t get insurance and he basically said “I know”....

This is mind boggling for us as it makes no sense we can insure a bike twice as powerful and not beginner friendly for a mere $80/year but can’t insure a beginner trail
Bike for under $1000..
Scogs13
SCORRA Member

Postby shielscc@rogers.com » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:28 am

I understand the frustration. Unfortunately it’s about liability and the age of the riders on the small bikes. One thing to try is insure the bike in your name. I have had multiple bikes in my name only. Once the bike is insured you should be fine according to a past post on this site.
Alan

2017 EXC-F 350, 2020 Road Glide
shielscc@rogers.com
Non-Member

Postby DJC33 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:00 am

Hey there, I just recently insured a CBR125r for around $500/year with echelon through NFP (dalton timmins) https://www.daltontimmis.com/personal-i ... insurance/
I'm 32 with an M2 and it's the first bike I've ever insured. Most places wouldn't even give me a quote but they got me on the road for reasonable price.
Hope this helps, best of luck.
DJC33
SCORRA Member

Postby shielscc@rogers.com » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:57 am

If you look at what you pay to have your kids in competitive sport, it’s not that much money. I spent on average over $7000 per year per child on hockey. The hard part is when you ride three times per season.
Cheers!
Alan

2017 EXC-F 350, 2020 Road Glide
shielscc@rogers.com
Non-Member

Postby Scogs13 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:11 am

Hello,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Dalton Timmis was one of the first calls I made and I actually called back after reading your post and got the same answer they won’t insure it. Your cbr125r is a street bike if I’m not mistaken and they don’t have a problem with licensed adults riding street bikes the problem the insurers have is with off road vehicles that kids can ride like my CRF125FB. As to the other comment it’s nothing compared to $7000 for their kids other sports/activities that may be fine if you can afford that but our children do not have that luxury and we cannot be paying that.

We have given up and gone back to Honda taken a small hit but Honda was super understanding and awesome and now she will have to learn on a 250f. She’s quite intimidated by it but hopefully all goes well
Scogs13
SCORRA Member

Postby Dunc » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:45 am

Honda 230F is a nice starter bike
Dunc
SCORRA Member

Postby bullyveldt » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:34 pm

Beginning this journey right now to find insurance for sons kx100. He's 13, bike fits him perfect, and funny the bike has more power due to being 2 stroke then the 230-250 cc trail bikes. Wonder what I will find out? Will the cc's be "too small" even though the bike has the same 19 front and 16 rear wheel as some 150cc+ bikes? Currently waiting to get a call back from Kyle Brown at Dalton Timmis tomorrow when he is back into the office.

Somewhere I read that something changed recently in Ontario with insurance, can anyone comment on that?
bullyveldt
SCORRA Member

Return to Trials Bikes and Riding